No recording yet. Let us know if you’ve performed the work and we’ll feature your recording here.
Fl(»Picc) Ob(»EH) BbCl(»BCl) Bsn Hn Tpt Tbn | Pno | Vln Vla Vc DB | Perc
- Flute (doubles Piccolo)
- Oboe (doubles English Horn)
- Clarinet in B♭ (doubles Bass Clarinet)
- Horn in F
- Trumpet in B♭
- Double Bass
- Required Percussion (1 player)
- Suspended Cymbal (sm.)
- Sizzle Cymbal (1 sm., 1 lg.)
- Hi hat Cymbal
- Wood Block (3) (sub Temple Blocks if needed)
- Very Small Drum (3)
- Antique Cymbal (2) (optional)
- Metal percussion for improvisation – a selection of your choice can include Triangles, anvil, cymbals, etc., anything metal with a distinctive sound.
- One Roll of Scotch Brand Packing Tape – which is a cylindrical object ca 2″ in diameter and 1.5″ long. Tape roll was chosen because it won’t dent anything.
1-25 June, 1979, Peterborough, NH
About this work
This piece was written at the MacDowell Art Colony in Peterborough, NH in 1979. The score is missing its title page and David cannot recall what it was called, hence the unenlightening provisional title. If you happen to have any information about this work, we would certainly welcome your contribution.
This piece is exceptionally rhythmically and technically demanding, requiring a prepared piano and extended techniques from the winds, among other challenges. So far as we have been able to determine, no parts for this piece have survived, leaving us only with this score. If you are interested in performing the piece, please contact us to start a discussion about how that might be accomplished.
David Maslanka: Works for Younger Wind Ensembles
Here are more than twenty works for wind ensemble, arranged in approximate ascending order of difficulty, with commentary by David Maslanka
Recording the Wind Ensemble Music of David Maslanka
Mark Morette of Mark Custom Recording shares his extensive experience in recording wind ensembles.