- Flute (2)
- Clarinet in B♭ (3)
- Bass Clarinet in
- Contrabass Clarinet in E♭
- Alto Saxophone (2)
- Tenor Saxophone
- Baritone Saxophone
- Horn in F (2)
- Trumpet (2)
- Trombone (2)
- Required Percussion (4 players)
- Tom-tom (med)
- Crash Cymbals
- Snare Drum
- Gong (sm or med)
- Sleigh Bells
- Tenor Drum
- Crotales (or Orchestra Bells)
- Orchestra Bells
- Suspended Cymbal (sm and lg)
- Bass Drum
Pitches given as transposed.
(items) are present in some sets of parts
Compiled by Todd Stalter, Director of Bands, Eureka (IL) High School and Beth Hildenbrand, student teacher, Illinois State University.
- I. Quiet Song
- 7, 8 BCl B4, not G3
- 13 Cl 2 omit extra B3
- 23 Tuba rhythm is correct but notes should be Bb2, D3, C3
- 26, 27 BCl B4, not G3
- 36 Cl1 slur from m. 36, beat 3 to m. 37, beat 1
- 51 all parts 4/4
- 52 all parts 3/4
- 57 Cl 2 omit extra E3
- 57 Cl 2 F#, not F natural
- 57 CbCl, BSx p at end of bar
- 64 Fl 1 has the entire line containing music at rehearsal 64 mistakenly reprinted on the 2nd page in the part only
- 69 Cl 2 beat 3 C4, not B3
- 70 Cl 1 beat 3+ E4, not D4
- 77 Cl 1 beat 4 B3, not A3
- II. Song with Variations
- 28 Tax, Euph accent beat 2 half note
- 20, 33 Score, parts missing beginning repeat barline
- 33 BCl, Tax, BSx tie over on 1st X; articulate downbeat on 2nd X.
- CbCl, Tpt 2, Hn, Tba accent, staccato beat 1
- 37 Cl 2,3 remove slur
- 37-8 Tpt 1 articulate like Cl 2,3 (37: accent beat 1, accent staccato beats 3, 4; 38 accent beat 1, accent staccato quarter notes)
- 47-57 Euph A-natural not Ab throughout
- 47 BCl all B naturals
- 50 All winds should have a slur going from the eighth notes to the staccato quarter note on beat 2.
- 50 Cl 1 beat 4 accent, staccato
- 59 Timp ff
- 60-2 Timp accent all notes
- 63 Perc 1 accent beat 4
- CbCl beat 4 8th notes C4, B3 (col. low winds/brass)
- 67 Perc 1 beat 1 8th/8th rest
- 67, 70 BCl, CbCl, Bn, TSx, BSx, Tbn, Euph, Tuba breath mark right before beat 4, not 4+
- 69 Cl 3 beat 5 remove Ab accidental
- 71 Perc 1 accent beat 1, 2
- 71 Hn 1, 2 beat 4 colla m. 68, beat 4
- 91 Cl 1 beat 3 G4, not F4 (colla oboe)
- 104 Fl, Tax, BSx f
- III. Heart Song
- 1 ASx beats 3-4 E5 F5 E5 D5, not C5 D5 C5 B3
- 11 Tpt 1 tie over B-nat3 not C4
- 14 ASx 1 mp
- 14 Tax p
- 27 Euph beat 1 p
- 29 BCl, ASx, TSx cresc.
- 31 CbCl mf cresc.
- 37 Ob beat 1-2 C5 not D5
- 41 BCl key signature has two F#’s
- 57 Tax beat 3 F#4, not G4
- 58 Oboe remove tenuto on beat 4+
- 58 Cl 1 beat 4 slur 8ths, remove tent on beat 4+
- 67 Perc 1 beat 4+ Bb3, not C4
- 61 ASx 1, Tpt 1, tie beat 1+ to beat 2, colla oboe
- 68 ASx beat 1 E4, not D4; beat 1+-4 A4, not G4
- 89 BCl rehearsal mark  misplaced
- 90 Tbn ff
- 96 Cl 1 beat 4 pp
- 97 Cl 3 beat 4 remove A4; beat 3 should be half note D4
- Quiet Song
- Song with Variations
- Heart Song
The title “Heart Songs” comes from the image of watering the tree of life with the blood of the heart. It is my hope with this music to provide a substantial and deeply-felt piece for young players. The second and third songs are based on melodies from the 371 Chorales by J.S. Bach.
From the Maslanka Archive – No. 40, World Premiere of Symphony No. 8
From the Maslanka Archive features media and stories of David's life and work. This week, we are excited to feature Alex Teater's signed program and tenor saxophone sheet music from the World Premiere of David's Symphony No. 8.
Maslanka Weekly: Best of the Web – No. 122, New Performances of Popular Symphonies
Maslanka Weekly highlights excellent performances of David Maslanka’s music from around the web. This week, we are excited to feature amazing new performances of three of David's most popular symphonies: Symphony No. 4, Symphony No. 7, and Symphony No. 8.
From the Maslanka Archive – No. 39, Wind Symphony Alumni Ensemble: Concert Recording
We are excited to feature a complete audio recording of the concert that took place on Friday, July 16, 2022 in Naperville, IL by Dr. Stephen K. Steele and the Wind Symphony Alumni Ensemble. This special event featured Angel of Mercy, Requiem, and Symphony No. 10 - The River of Time.
Stephen K. Steele & Wind Symphony Alumni Ensemble Perform to Thunderous Applause
Stephen K. Steele & Wind Symphony Alumni Ensemble Perform Symphony No. 10, Angel of Mercy, and Requiem in Naperville, IL on July 15, 2022 to a Standing Ovation of Thunderous Applause.
From the Maslanka Archive – No. 38, The Life & Influence of Thich Nhat Hanh
From the Maslanka Archive features media and stories of David's life and work. This week, we are excited to feature the podcast Wind & Rhythm and their new episode on David's music inspired by the late Buddhist Monk, Thich Nhat Hanh.