Join the San Francisco Lesbian/Gay Freedom Band – the official band of San Francisco – for their “Passions and Pastimes” concert on Saturday, September 30 at 5 pm. They’ll be performing David’s Rollo Takes a Walk as part of this program.
From the SFLGFB:
Everyone has pastimes they are passionate about. This includes musical composers! This “Passions & Pastimes” community concert features music that explores everything from bicycle riding to baseball to magic to dancing, singing, hiking, and more! These myriad activities also reflect the passions of San Francisco Lesbian/Gay Freedom Band musicians. While they all share a common vision – promoting the visibility of LGBTQ+ communities, and with our allies, fostering understanding among diverse communities through public performance – the Band’s membership reflects a wide range of identities that intersect in unique ways with their passionate pastimes. Under the baton of Artistic Director Pete Nowlen, you will learn more about these pastimes as you enjoy an entertaining collection of music written by composers shown below. “The Miragecaster” by Mattea Williams (the SFLGFB’s Composer-In-Residence) is a West Coast Premiere.
This concert includes:
- Uranus The Magician from The Planets (Gustav Holst)
- Symphonic Songs for Band (Robert Russell Bennett)
- Sing! (Lee Jinjun)
- Rollo Takes a Walk (David Maslanka)
- Mary Shelley Meets Frankenstein (Erika Svanoe)
- Star Ship (Yukiko Nishimura)
- Pastime: A Salute to Baseball (Jack Stamp)
- The Bicycle Shoppe (Lisa deSpain)
- The Miragecaster (from composer-in-residence Mattea Williams)
- The National Game (John Philip Sousa)